Make a donation

Wednesday, April 4, 2007

NOTHING LIKE GOOD MEXICANO FOOD!


17 years of amazing comida! Oh sorry, was just relaxing and thinking about my wonderful steak picado burrito I had for lunch over at “LA ABEJA”.

I have been going to La Abeja for about 17 years now. I first went with my friends Lucia, Martha and Ivy way back when my nephew was still in high school. The first time I went I thought it was a gay hang out but later figured out that the art community from Mt. Washington were frequent gobblers of Roy’s family establishment. The food here is amazing and the beans are the absolute best in town! I highly recommend La Abeja not only for its authentic Mexican food but for it’s all around friendly atmosphere.

Way back when at Abeja you would find Roy’s mother sitting behind the counter eyeing and enjoying the wide variety of cliental. She was a wonderful person. She instructed her family members working at the restaurant not to turn down a hungry sole even if they couldn’t afford to pay. Now that was a woman with a big heart. Roy’s two daughters and son worked the tables. These kids have seen EVERYTHING under the sun by working at Abeja… even us weekend wacko’s. Almost every Saturday Lucia, Martha, Ivy and myself would go eat breakfast and enjoyed our weekly chisme… often the chisme was so funny that we laughed out crying and at times got very loud. We actually developed a fan club. People would ask Roy what days we came so they could sit there and listen to our wild stories of local politicals and people in our wonderful city of the angels. Abeja was the hot spot for local city officials and their staff.

Through the years not much has changed at La Abeja except the girls don’t work there anymore, Roy, Jr. is still there as does Tia Gloria. If you visit La Abeja make sure you give Tia Gloria a big tip and a big kiss~ She is a special lady. And be prepared for some amazing food, and watch your guard as you NEVER know who might be sitting behind you, so keep your chisme cool!

Bon appetit.

La Abeja is located at 3700 N. Figueroa St., Los Angeles, CA 90065 (Mt. Washington).
323.221.0474
Open Wed-Sat’s 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Sundays 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Mondays 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.

AND DON’T EXPECT CHIPS cause they don’t serve em.

Until tomorrow,
mandog

2 comments:

alicia said...

nice bit for the restaurant. i've only been there once or twice, but i have to go check it out again. my visits were too long ago for me to remember. thanks for reminding me of this cute little place! :)~

Anonymous said...

Man. The last time I was at La Abeja must have been in the early nineties. I cant quite remember the year but I will never forget the meal.
I put my twenty five cents in the bubble gum machine and got me a teensy tiny plastic purple treasure chest that rattled around in a see-thru plastic bubble shaped container. Those see-thru containers were the treasure chests of my youth. And what was in this treasure chest? Another treasure chest! It’s the little things in life that thrill me. Unfortunately the darn container wouldn’t open. After ten minutes of struggling with it I managed to wedge a fingernail under the lid and give it a good pop. As it snapped open the toy instantly vanished. I stared down into my empty plastic bubble wondering how my hard earned toy had disappeared. It was just like a magic trick Now you see it, now you don’t.
My boyfriend was laughing his head off. He had seen it take flight up an over my head. Some poor hapless soul in the booth behind me was most likely picking it out of his plate or wondering what hit the back of his head. It was gone for good.
I was starved when the food came. I sunk my fork and knife into the steak and with great gusto cut off a piece and aimed the fork towards my mouth. Once again. Just like a ding dang magic trick. The fork was in my mouth but why wasn't I happily chewing on a tasty meaty morsel? My boyfriend fell out of the booth laughing and I slid under the booth dying. The guy behind me was whipping off the back of his head with a napkin and a great deal of irritation. I was too embarrassed to even apologize.
So if any of you long term La Abeja fans incurred dental damages due to eating a teensy tiny purple plastic treasure chest years ago, please accept my apologies. And if I greased up your hair, please accept my apologies for that as well.
Hopefully La Abeja has a better class of clientele since the last time I messed up the joint.
I am sure the food is as good now as it always was.