Make a donation

Saturday, September 11, 2010

9/11... My view on this traggic day.

The anniversary of 911… 9 years ago. I remember exactly what I was doing and what was happening that day. I wake up pretty much the same time everyday (between 5:00 – 5:30 am) I always turn on the radio to listen the the mornings new as I get ready to take my shower, but this particular day I would be interrupted by the shocking news. At first the news was sketchy but still interesting enough to make me stop and walk out of the bath room and tell my husband that a plane had crashed into the twin towers…. he thought I was joking (as I often do to get his attention) but I assured him that I was not and we turned on the tele to Channel 5 News. It was at that moment that the reality set in. It was at that time we watched in horror as the second plane crashed straight into the second tower! Needless to say the fear started to set in as I quickly grabbed my phone and called my neighbor Barbara Sandoval to see if she was aware of the happenings.

I learned something important that day from Barbara… Go straight to the store, buy some groceries and take out as much money you can from the ATM! It was the best advice anyone gave me that day as soon after the banks would be closed, the planes wouldn’t be flying and life just changed… changed in seconds (too bad Obama’s change has not come as fast!).

Ronn Savala (my husband) was working for a company and had booked several education classes in Las Vegas that week to educate on hair color. We decided to take the drive regardless not realizing just how much of an impact this disaster would have on America. The drive at first was good but then we began to imagine how creep it was that there were NO airplanes flying in the skies! So quiet so peaceful.

When we arrived in Las Vegas we checked in our hotel. There we soon realized that many people were stranded, stuck, could not get a flight home. It was there I experienced just how kind people can be at a time of crisis. Sams Town (where we were staying) told their guest not to worry, they would be taken care of and would not be charged! It was a very special moment.. a moment where American’s had their chance to shine as this horrible situation began to become a reality. And shine America did. Most people were extending their hands, most people felt as though somehow they were also victims… it turned out we were.

I learned many lessons that week after 9/11. I learned how kind we can be as American’s and one push comes to shove we are all under the same roof, Red, Black, White, Brown, Purple… we are ALL Americans. We are all here in the land of the free. We are lucky to have our freedom. No one can EVER take that away, no one! so in closing I applaud America… a place where we (I) can speak my mind, say my peace and be free! Let’s not forget the most important thing about America… She is the Land of the Free… Don’t let others bully you into believing anything else, your voice (although not always what people want to hear) is important. Your vote is your vote… take advantage of it. In the world of Bob Marley “Get Up Stand Up… Stand Up For Your Rights!”

Peace and let’s not forget this day.

No comments: